Thursday, July 12, 2012

Positive Affirmations

I began working at my current job in October of 2012. The turn around from application to hire was incredible. I think the from the time I submitted the online application to when I was called and offered the position was 1.5 weeks. I immediately took a strong liking to this new corporate immigration law firm and found that I was appreciated, challenged, and respected. My Supervisor wanted to give me ever increasing job responsibilities and was constantly offering me praises for the thorough job I was doing. Things were going fabulous and each day I learned new details about immigration and was growing professionally in a way I had never experienced but had always imagined. In March my boss left for maternity leave.  And thus began a rough couple months.

Our office handles immigration matters and acts as sole legal counsel for major technology companies in Silicon Valley. We work on teams, each team specifically working on one company’s legal matters, and within the team we are divided by paralegals and immigration coordinators.  This means that our daily duties are rather isolated and with my boss out I did not have anyone to supervise my work directly and offer feedback as necessary. When things slowed down a bit, which often happens with immigration, I became ridden with self-doubt and questioned my position in the office. I strongly believe that this irrational fear that I was going to be fired- I rarely did anything incorrectly and am very thorough in my job- due to the steady slow down we were experiencing was completely driven by my upcoming departure for the Peace Corps. I knew that I would be giving notice in August but I still desperately needed this job to last until then. Anyways, the point is I’ve felt overly sensitive and cautious of my job performance these last few weeks and it was not a good feeling. I honestly found myself feeling so down and unhappy; it was tough to get up for work and maintain a happy composure.

Enter today, July 12. After a rough start to the week I came in this morning and at about 9:45 my phone rang. Oh man, it’s the boss. Like the boss, boss. Heart pumping I answer the phone and hope that an earlier snafu in the week is not the reason for this call. My boss proceeds to tell me that even though my supervisor is still out on maternity leave and my review isn’t until next month, they want to give me a raise. WHAT?! She continues on by praising me for the job that I have done this far, saying that she is happy with my performance and believes they deserve a pat on the back for hiring me. She assured me that I am a great fit for the office and they are happy to have me as part of the team. I am grinning from ear to ear.

It’s just what I needed to hear.

Now I am ready to go shopping and treat myself with something pretty and wind down the night with a glass (or two) of wine.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! Of course they love you :) Positive affirmation is so so important. My boss now is also terrible with, and although I'm bringing in 100's of thousands of rand per month, I'm constantly worried that he hates me and my work. It sucks! I'm riding out my time until the end of the year... and then I'm outta here!

    Drink an extra glass of wine for me tonight :)

    xxx
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...