Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sunshine Mind

Bikram Yoga= My latest obsession. 

I have been really into fitness lately and trying to find new, exciting ways to get my workout on. The gym had become too mundane and unchallenging. Furthermore, the gym I went to was crowded at ALL hours, with obnoxious people lacking basic gym etiquette. So I cancelled my gym membership and vowed to find new mediums for exercise and stimulation. 

What have I done since, one might ask. Well let me tell you. I have been really into jogging lately, fueled by the fact that a handful of my friends are doing a marathon in San Francisco in August. Unfortunately, my yo-yo of a life does not allow me to make decisions that far in advance, and since I don't know if I'll be in SF come August I'll just have to congratulate my friends and offer them excessive amounts of moral support. Their commitment to training for this marathon has inspired me to make a pledge: before 2011 is over, I WILL run a marathon- or maybe 2 if I am feeling ambitious. So I bought my new running shoes, synched them with my Nike+Ipod and hit the pavement as often as I can.

BUT the real source of inspiration, infatuation, love, desire, excitement, joy, energy, and mental stability in my fitness life as of late is BIKRAM YOGA. I. AM. OBSESSED. It is one of the most fulfilling and challenging workouts I have ever done- top 5 for sure. And that is saying a lot since I was a 3 sport athlete all through high school, and one of those sports was water polo. I have been burdened by stress lately, which is my own fault of course because I obsess and micromanage everything but yoga has offered me a release. For 90 minutes I forget the world and focus on myself and bettering my life. Now, the reason Bikram is so special and challenging is because it is yoga in a 105 degree room. It is hot as balls but so worth it. I sweat out all the negative that has been getting me down and rejuvenate myself. I look forward to the class and can feel my entire body transforming. It is absolutely amazing and I highly recommend it to any all all fitness lovers. 

Cancelling my gym membership is the best decision I have ever made. It is far too easy to get into a fitness rut from the same old routines at the same old gyms. I challenge you to think outside the box of your usual routines and try something new. Trust me, it will be amazing and will offer the kickstart you have been looking for!

Happy Sweating

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...