Monday, April 18, 2011

Explore. Dream. Discover.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain


Lately, I have been feeling like something is missing and that life is passing me by. I am torn between my desire to travel the world and my feelings of wanting to start a career and a life for myself. I am set on my decision to move to Washington D.C. but I cannot kick my feelings of regret for not traveling more. I know that once I settle into D.C. and get a job it will be hard to travel as much as I wish I could- stupid 2 weeks only of vacation time. Back in January of this year, I interviewed with the Peace Corps. When the process hit a snag, I sort of decided that maybe the PC wasn't the best choice for me anymore and that's when my D.C. plan began to take shape. However, last week I heard from the recruiter and he informed me that jobs would be opening up in May for placement in winter. And now I am once again reconsidering everything that I have planned. My good friend Danni is currently teaching English in Morocco. She is having what seems to be the time of her life; traveling, meeting new people, and experiencing amazing adventures. Seeing how happy she is makes me wonder if the Peace Corps is where I should be.


On the other hand, I have this stupid voice in the back of my head telling me to settle down in D.C., get a job, and become an adult. It is frustrating not knowing what the right decision is. I suppose time will tell. I must remind myself that moving to D.C. will be a great adventure. I will be able to explore a new part of the country, travel on weekends, and meet all kinds of new people to share my adventures with.

So now I must decide. Travel the world- starting with Morocco in June/July or settle into a life for myself :/

1 comment:

  1. Such a tough decision - I battle with the same exact feelings every day... even though I'm living in SA, it makes it so difficult to travel anywhere ever because the rand is so week. Lately I've been having such a craving to drop everything here, move back to the states, save money and then head straight to the middle east for a summer program or something... then spend a couple months at a monestary in northern india... I've been sitting in one place for waaaay too long now!

    xoxo
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...